Wednesday, November 26, 2008

First OB visit

Today I went for my first OB visit though I have been to the OB clinic quite a few times already because of my diabetes. We also went to the hospital which is just opposite the clinic yesterday for genetic counseling. I am scheduled for my nuclear transparency test on Dec 4th and they will also do some blood tests that day that will give an estimate of chromosomal abnormalities. They gave us a sheet which has the estimated risk for every age and the risk increases so much year by year. Also, I am not being able to control my blood sugar levels with diet and exercise alone; so I have to start on insulin. That means pricking myself six times a day but we IVF people are used to needles :). One of the bad things of going to Stanford is that though it is only approx. 14 miles from my house, the route is through very congested inside roads and it takes 30-45 minutes drive.

My OB seems nice... she was referred by a colleague of my husband's and she is a faculty in Stanford. However she said she believes I was diabetic before pregnancy and as I have having identical twins, they will monitor me very closely. So I need to do a number of tests. To start with, I need to collect my urine for 24 hours and take it back to the clinic for my next appt. Then I need to do a number of blood tests. After some weeks, they will do a fetal echo to make sure the babies' hearts are okay and so on. Also, because of my diabetes, I have to eat sometimes every 2-3 hrs, walk for 20 mins and then do a blood sugar test. This is not leaving me much time to do anything else. I cannot simply go out anywhere. I have to think how much time it is going to take and pack a snack accordingly and also carry my glucose monitoring kit. Anyways, everything is okay as long as the babies are fine and they seemed to be fine today....

6 comments:

Evergreen said...

Wow, Debbie, that is a lot to have to think about. I'm sorry that your pregnancy has been so hard so far. All that needle pricking - as if you haven't had enough. It sounds like you will be carefully watched, which is great. I'm glad you like your new doc.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Jeepers Debbie, that's hectic! At least the babies are good and they've picked all of this up in time

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Sounds like A LOT of needles! :)

Dora said...

Congrats on graduating to the OB. Glad you like her. Sounds like you're not having an easy beginning. Hope it gets easier.

I hear you on the needles. Once (if) I get pg, my hematologist wants me on lovenox for the entire pg. The things we will do to become moms!

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Your offer would be WONDERFUL! Please email me at dorasblog@gmail.com. THANKS!

Sarah said...

Hi Debbie! Just checking in. Still no weight gain? I think it is pretty normal, esp post IVF. I am actually DOWN three pounds from the day of my positive test, but I am up two from my ten week visit. I think my body is finally evening out and I will start to gain more like a normal pregnancy from here. I think the hormones just relaly mess with our systems!

Hope you all ahve a great christmas!!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

How are you doing? I've been thinking about you, Debbie.