Friday, November 14, 2008

The rollercoaster continues

I have not blogged for quite some time. My excuses are 1) I have been busy at work 2) I am feeling nauseated and hence have not been feeling like blogging. Anyways, last week I went for my 8th week ultrasound and saw the identical twins in the ultrasound. They are in one placenta but they have two separate amniotic sacs. Then we had a big surprise - there was another placenta but my RE did not see any heartbeat in the second placenta. So we are still having identical twins but the second placenta might create some problems with some of the diagnostic tests.

So this Wednesday I went for a pregnancy class at Stanford OB clinic. I have an appointment with the OB there on 26th. The nurse took my family history and as my father has diabetes, made me go for a blood sugar test. And guess what? My blood sugar is very high - in fact, they are suspecting I might had diabetes before pregnancy. I go for another test next Thursday that will find my blood sugar level for the last 3-4 months to see whether I had diabetes before my pregnancy. I also have to go for a diabetes management class that day. This is bad news. The baby's organs develop in the early weeks of pregnancy and having uncontrolled diabetes at that time might lead to birth defects. It is very likely that I had diabetes before considering my high blood sugar level. I wish I had checked my blood sugar level before the IVF so that I could not managed it but there is no point beating myself up over what could have been done. I did check my blood sugar before I started trying which was 2 years back. So even though my IVF worked, I am still worried because I do not just want to be pregnant, I want healthy babies. And thinking whether they are okay, is making me terrified.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness no wonder you havent been up for blogging. It has really been piling on you lately.

Hoping everything is okay with both sweet babies and that they get the blood sugar worked out ASAP!

((HUGS))

Mermaid said...

I hope everything goes well with the new test, and they can get that pesky sugar under control. Best of luck with those babies! Hugs!

Evergreen said...

I'm glad you posted - I've been checking periodically to see how things are going. That's great news that the babies have their own sacs. I hope everything goes well with your blood sugar test. It does no good to beat yourself up for what was/wasn't done in the past. Be gentle with yourself.

Mrs. Shoes said...

Was the glucose test fasting? It might not be as bad as you think. I have learned quite a bit about gestational diabetes and if I can be of any amateur assistance, please let me know.

Mrs. Shoes said...

In response to your blog comment, your fasting blood sugar level would give you a better idea if the diabetes was pre-existing at conception than just the one-hour test. But being careful with your blood sugar now can still have an important effect on development. I know it's a pain, but after all you have been through, it is just another step toward your dream realized.

btw-My GD was diagnosed at the standard 28 weeks after failing both the 1-hour and 3-hour tests. After two weeks of trying to manage with diet alone, I had to go on insulin because my fasting numbers could notbe controlled.