Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mixed Emotions

Today I went for my 6 week ultrasound and we found we are having identical twins. We were very happy to see the two heartbeats but as our RE said identical twins tend to have much more complications than fraternal twins. I have another ultrasound scheduled after two weeks and then we will be able to figure out whether there is structural abnormalities and whether they have the same amniotic sac or different amniotic sacs. There is another potential problem called Twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome where one twin can receive much more blood than the other which is bad for both of them. The good news is my babies seem to be quite far from each other. This also means we have to choose a pretty good hospital that has a good neonatal unit. Our RE said that the hospital closest to our house will be able to handle single or fraternal twins but maybe they are not well equipped enough to handle identical twins. So we have to choose another hospital which is 14 miles away. Fortunately, that is not very far off and that is an excellent hospital. So we are happy and apprehensive at the same time - happy that we saw two heartbeats and apprehensive about what the future holds for us.

10 comments:

I Believe in Miracles said...

TWINS?!?! How exciting. Praying for you and the babies.
**HUGS**

Mermaid said...

Congratulations - Twins!! Hang tough with the scary aspects. This is a very exciting time!

And thank you for your wonderful comments, they mean a lot to me!

To A T said...

Oh my goodness!! TWINS!! I'm so excited for you! and identical at that :)

I understand you anxiety though. (((HUGS))) and prayers headed your way :)

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness this seems so RARE! I guess it is as common with IVF babies as it is in the real world, but still...just shocking! Congrats on the two sweet babies!

Evergreen said...

Congratulations! How reassuring to see your babies' heartbeats.

You transferred 2 blasts, right? So it is more likely that your babies are fraternal (or sisternal ;-) rather than identical. Is there a reason he seems so certain about them being identical? Remember, complications are possible, but the most likely scenerio is a healthy pregnancy and healthy babies!

Evergreen said...

Debbie,

Thanks for clarifying about the single sac. No wonder you are anxious! Stay strong, and we'll pray that they see your babies are in their own internal sacs very soon.

Hope2morrow said...

Wow! Twins- how exciting! I didn't realize there was that big of a difference in complications with fraternal or identical twins.

One day at a time; one decision at a time.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I am so excited for you - that is my dream (twins).

Today all my hopes were dashes because I am on the way to being not pregnant - will post on my blog when I feel up to it.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Debbie, so how does it feel?

Has it hit you yet?
Are you relaxed and happy?

What are you feeling?

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! You're in for a wild ride...I found your blog through cyclesista and figured I would comment on the great news. The best thing for you and your babies is that it sounds like your doctors will be keeping a close eye on you guys. That is exactly what you'll need with a twin pregnancy. Good luck with everything...