Monday, April 13, 2009

Long overdue

I know I have not updated for a long time. Anyways, the last few weeks were a little challenging. I have "white coat syndrome" which means my blood pressure becomes high at doctor's clinics. However, all throughout the pregnancy it was pretty good 100/60 , 110/70 and so on. Well, I went for my dietitian when I was 27 weeks and the nurse checked my bp. It was high - 140/90... she checked thrice and it was around the same. So I was sent to labor and delivery in the hospital which is opposite the clinic. My bp was kind of high there (though it was coming down ) and my heart was racing. They took a lot of blood for various tests and then started me on the 24 hour urine sample. I was admitted to the hospital and put on IV because they thought my heartrate was high because of dehydration. It was on a Friday and on Saturday, a MFM doc came and told me they might have to give steroids to mature the babies' lungs and brains. I was very worried; all I could think that I am only 27 weeks. I told them I tend to get high bp if anxious but they did not believe me. They had a cardiologist come and check me out and they took an EKG. The EKG and all the blood test results came back normal. Finally, on Saturday night the 24 hour urine test results came back and there was no protein in the urine. So I was discharged.

The following Wednesday I had an appointment with my OB and as usual my bp was high. My ob told me to relax at home and monitor my bp and start Non Stress Tests from 30 weeks.

So last week, I went for my NST which was all good. Then I went to the OB clinic and my bp was very high. So my doc sent me to the hospital once more. At the hospital they again took my blood, monitored my bp and heart rate. My bp was kind of okay but heart was racing - like 140. And I forgot to mention I had also done an echo in between which had come back fine. Anyways, they let me come home because they thought this might be due to anxiousness. I was supposed to do a 24 hour urine collection at home and take it back. I took the sample on Friday night but somehow the lab people lost it. Anyways, they told me not to bother about the urine sample as I go back again this Wednesday for another NST. But from now on, I am prepared to stay in the hospital any time. In fact, I packed my hospital bag today. I am hoping nothing happens before 32 weeks... but I will be 31 weeks by wednesday so it is much better than last time.

3 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) said...

oh my word! Debbie, you've got to be careful.

Please, please can we see belly pics?

I Believe in Miracles said...

I'm hoping everything is ok... but I do like that you're prepared to go to the hospital. Please take it easy!!
~~HUGS~~

Evergreen said...

Thank you for the update - I think about you and your babies and wonder how you are doing. These past few weeks sure have been a whopper of stress for you - which of course is probably only making your BP higher.

Please forgive some unsoliticed midwifery advice. There is BP that is high from stress/anxiety/etc, and there is BP that is high because of true medical problems. The stress kind (which sounds like what you have) really can come down with some conscious effort. I would recommend finding a good relaxation CD - with words or just with music. Listen to it at least once a day, and create a visualization in your mind. If it is just music, create a relaxing phrase and image that you hold in your mind with it. Do this every day - it is training your brain - just like Pavlov's dogs! Then when you go in for your BP, when they put the cuff on, get set up then ask them to wait a minute while you bring that image and phrase into your mind, and remember that relaxing music. Keep holding that while they take the BP. This really does work. It will be great for your BP and your pregnancy and your whole self in general. Ok, lecture concluded! Sorry for the unsolicited advice - but I've really seen it work!